Mike Patrick Should Have Won The Worst Person In America Award Last Night

Monday, October 08, 2007

Usually when I wake up and make the almost 2 hour trek into work I flip through the emails on my phone. Today was different as there were a good 10 or so with the subject "Mike Patrick"....I wondered what goofy thing he did today. The Britney Spears' Incident was something goofy and random, and it was fun to make fun of him for being so random. I couldn't wait to read what he did this time, but it wasn't goofy and random.

Speaking about Virginia Tech's trip to LSU earlier in the year Mike Patrick had this to say about the game.....

"Virginia Tech went to LSU and got murdered."- Mike Patrick

Now I know when you're in the moment sometimes you say things you really shouldn't, but comments like this are inexcusable. How many Tech fans do you think were listening at the moment and thought back to April? Probably tens of thousands. I know some of you are going to say that people are too sensitive and that there has to be a moratorium on things of this nature, but I'm saying there shouldn't be.

Just inexcusable to me.

(Thanks to Roger and all of the other Tech fans who expressed their feelings.)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 8:51 AM

11 Comments:

Agreed. Though not done with malice, MP should issue an apology.

Anonymous said...
Oct 8, 2007, 9:30:00 AM  

I honestly think he's trying to see how much he can get away with before he's fired.
He probably needs some stuff to write a book which he thinks people will read.
Banish him to GamePlan and bring back Ron Franklin.

Anonymous said...
Oct 8, 2007, 9:39:00 AM  

What happened to when all things like "murdered" and "throwing a bomb" and "suicide squeeze" were going to be banished from the sports lexicon?

Did Mike Greenberg and Chris Berman and Bob F Ley lie to us?

odessasteps said...
Oct 8, 2007, 9:54:00 AM  

I watched the entire game, but was just so happy and blown away by the win I missed it. I doubt he meant it the way it came out (if he did he is an asshole), but I would be glad if this was the straw that broke the camels back and got him fired for next year.

Anonymous said...
Oct 8, 2007, 9:58:00 AM  

That picture of him is going to give me nightmares.

GMoney said...
Oct 8, 2007, 10:23:00 AM  

It might be inappropriate, but it's pretty funny.

Evidently he also said this, and it still cracks me up.

"at least we got to hear ESPN’s Mike Patrick say “Hallmark doesn’t have a card for that one” after a Virginia Tech CB got drilled in the nuts"

E Buzz said...
Oct 8, 2007, 10:45:00 AM  

"What happened to when all things like "murdered" and "throwing a bomb" and "suicide squeeze" were going to be banished from the sports lexicon?"

I think "throwing a bomb" and "suicide squeeze" have their perspective places in sports no matter what. But there are so many terms to say that a team got whooped (there's one right there!). You're probably better off with not using "murdered" in any circumstance. I'm sure people have problems with "taken behind the woodshed" or "smacked around," too.

HardScores said...
Oct 8, 2007, 11:21:00 AM  

feel free to put ron franklin back in the top game slot anytime now....

derby said...
Oct 8, 2007, 2:34:00 PM  

I'm waiting for him to do a Memphis game and scream after a big hit:

THAT WAS LIKE A DRIVE-BY SHOOTING!

GMoney said...
Oct 8, 2007, 3:43:00 PM  

Since every single person gets offended about something, why don't we just quit speaking. /sarcasm

Anonymous said...
Oct 9, 2007, 5:19:00 AM  

Mike said: "Agreed. Though not done with malice, MP should issue an apology."

Am I the only one that thinks issuing an apology is a joke? After the whole Don Imus, JV & Elvis and now Isaiah Thomas thing, demanding people issue an apology is tired. They're usually insincere and don't really do anything to remedy the situation.

It was a throwaway line and I'm sure he regrets saying it, but no need to bring more attention to it.

Justin Williams said...
Oct 12, 2007, 7:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment