Lost In All The "Nachoooo" Talk Is Gilbert Arenas' Swipe At Bill Simmons

Sunday, November 18, 2007


I have to admit I haven't quite gotten into the swing of all of the pagentry that it is the NBA, but I'm getting there. Yes Gilbert Arenas has a new catchphrase (from a movie that came out a year and a half ago), but it was this jab at ESPN and Simmons that caught my eye.

In response to a Sports Guy claim that one of his boys heckled Agent Zero into missing two free throws and that he never talks to Eddie Jordan, Gil had this to say.... (Halfway down the page)

But really, he was funny. That’s why I like fans like that; they give you a chance to interact with them. He was like, “Yeah, your teammates don’t like you. They don’t like playing with you.”

Now the other part, that’s what I don’t understand. Why do media gobble up anything anybody says? Me and my coach have a great relationship. He actually called my dad the other day and told my dad, “Try to convince your son to get rest and rest his knee.”

You can’t just every time something goes wrong or something goes right go straight to the head coach during the timeouts. When I’m on the sideline, sure, I’ll talk to an assistant coach, but every player does that.

That’s pretty silly for somebody to publish that after the fan just e-mailed it.
What's even better than that comment at the end is the fact that Arenas doesn't even seem to know who Bill Simmons is. It's almost Dane Cook like when he refers to him as just "media". Dagger.

I can't wait for Simmons' response which will then lead Gilbert to say he'll drop 90 on the Celtics when they play in mid-January.

NBA...Where Amazing Happens!

NACHOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (Gil's Blog on NBA.com)

8 Comments:

For one, great Simmons pic there.

Two, I'm not sure why Gilbert would care that it gets printed. Who wouldn't print that email? That sort of stuff is why fans love Gil's blog, and all blogs in general. That was the highlight of the column.

Anonymous said...
Nov 18, 2007, 11:08:00 AM  

I think Gil messed that part up...wasn't it one of Simmons friends who emailed him?

Nov 18, 2007, 11:17:00 AM  

there's a douche off for you with no chance of a winner

dane cook v bill simmons

you ever seen two less talented hacks. the only reason they got to rise tothe top of their profession is because guys like Richard Pryor and Will McDonough died.

Steve M said...
Nov 18, 2007, 12:10:00 PM  

I think Simmons knows a lot about the NBA, at least the history of the NBA. The problem I have with him is when he starts talking about baseball or football. He really knows nothing about those sports, only about the Boston based teams.

Anonymous said...
Nov 18, 2007, 1:02:00 PM  

Has there ever been a more polarizing sportswriter than Bill Simmons? He was great until the Red Sox won in 2004. Then he became the ultra-Bostoncentric douche bag he still is today. All Hollywood Bill does is sit at home and bitch on his colmun whenever he feels like it.

Anonymous said...
Nov 18, 2007, 5:05:00 PM  

It's really sad what your blog has turned into. All you do is bash the same old usual suspects every single week. "Simmons wrote something dumb!" "Tony Kornheiser TOTALLY BLOWS!" "Pro and college announcers are stupid!" If you're going to point out actual stupidity (read: Emmitt) I can deal with that, but turning a mild Agent Zero quip into a whole post about how Simmons sucks is just amateur. You're really better than that.

omnivore43 said...
Nov 19, 2007, 10:06:00 PM  

omnivore43 vs. awfulannoucing post nigh!

Anonymous said...
Nov 20, 2007, 1:56:00 PM  

Can someone point out where I said Simmons sucks? I just thought it was humorous that Gilbert didn't address him by name. If you don't read the whole thing (and other posts where I've praised Simmons) then don't comment.

Per usual- Don't like it, don't read. I'll be fine if you change the channel my friend.

(Even though I know you won't)

Anonymous said...
Nov 20, 2007, 2:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment