Welcome To The Fray Mr. Shanoff

Thursday, January 10, 2008

I just wanted to take a brief moment to welcome one Daniel Shanoff to the group of bloggers currently residing over at Sporting News (no "The" anymore!). I think it's safe to say that Shanoff is joining a Murderer's Row of content providing machines (present company excluded) and according to MDS at Fanhouse....making SN "relevant again"....

It's a smart business strategy from Sporting News, which all of a sudden feels like a must-read sports site. (It also may explain why Shanoff thinks Sporting Blog is "in" and FanHouse is "out".) Sporting News is never going to win a bidding war for the Rick Reillys of the world with the Sports Illustrateds and ESPNs of the world, but it can attract high-quality sports writers. And it has.
That's a nice thing to say Mr. Smith and I wholeheartedly agree. I don't know about the "In and Out" part, but I'm happy there are choices for the average Sports Fan now....not just ESPN (not that there's anything wrong with you if you still go to ESPN.com).

If you're keeping score that's Large from No Mas, Spencer Hall from Every Day Should Be Saturday, Dan Shanoff, Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio doing two-columns-per-week on the .com, and Deadspin’s Will Leitch filing daily from the Super Bowl the end of this month. I'm personally honored to be mentioned in the same breath as those individuals.

But wait, there's more! Even CNBC agrees......
While I'm still not sold on podcasting, I am sold on blogs. Some blogs. Good blogs. It's how many people like to read today. Short, quick, funny, relevant comments instead of full articles.

The next step for The Sporting News is to get all these bloggers radio studios in their homes. It only cost a couple thousand dollars for the lines. And have them host a show called "The Bloggers" on Sporting News Radio.
Umm, I dunno about that. But you can get your daily fix of The Sporting Blog everyday by clicking that pretty logo there on the right, and be sure to check me out every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Good times.

[/self promotion]

Dan Shanoff Partnering With SportingNews.com (Dan Shanoff)
Don't Look Now, but the Sporting News Is Relevant Again (Fanhouse)
Sporting News Blogging Its Way Into The New Age (CNBC: Sports Biz)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 4:47 PM

8 Comments:

Blogger Radio would be sweet.

GMoney said...
Jan 10, 2008, 5:24:00 PM  

What is your role? I don't think I've seen it written about other than on Shanoff's site and your mention today, but maybe I missed it.

Anonymous said...
Jan 10, 2008, 6:44:00 PM  

Happy belated congratulations to you for being on board with Sporting News. Nice work.

THN said...
Jan 10, 2008, 6:45:00 PM  

I have to admit I kind of have mixed feelings about reading the 'blogers' at SN. I think what SN is doing is great, and it's great for those of you who were picked up, but isn't what makes blogs so great is the total lack of editorial review? that one (or sometimes 2 or 3) people post, say exactly what they mean, and then move on. There is no noise to compete with (ie Kirk has to say something funny because Corso just telling jokes at the moment) and each blog is its own world.

Now I know you would have to say that SN has no impact on your material, I totally respect this and it's why I'm not asking. Now is a good time to point out that you and the above mentioned are truly world class at what you do, you make the work day better just by posting...but to get back to the point, while maximum exposure is only a good thing for everyone, I just have a general distrust toward anything that thinks they are legit by default.

I didn't mean to get all serious, and maybe I've just seen too many of my favorite bands grow up, sign with Capital and become Green Day or the Counting Crows, so I apologize.

And more importantly, congrats on everything. It is very obvious you work your ass off and deserve it all. And I don't want to suggest for a minutes that I think you guys are doing something wrong. If SN emailed me at my current 200 hits per day penn state blog I there is little doubt what my response would be.

TheFolkist said...
Jan 10, 2008, 7:08:00 PM  

AA + Shanoff = Outstanding Radio Show

Brett said...
Jan 10, 2008, 8:23:00 PM  

Anon- I do Sports Media Previews and Reviews as well as a Monday Night Football Review. Now that MNF is done with I'll probably try to get into the ratings game.

Paterno- I was worried too, but they assured me that wouldn't be the case and it hasn't come up at all. It's really just a different way for me to stay writing and I rather enjoy the more traditional format.

Jan 10, 2008, 8:43:00 PM  

That radio show thing is a great idea! I wish we would have though of that 3 years ago at AOL Sports and called it "Sports Bloggers Live."

Hmmm... Chris Mottram was one of the co-hosts on that show and I was the Executive Producer. Could we be getting the band back together? Hmmmmm?

NaviGATR said...
Jan 13, 2008, 9:38:00 AM  

Who the fuck is Chris Mottram?

Anonymous said...
Jan 13, 2008, 10:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment