Joe Morgan Is Confused By Daisuke Matsuzaka

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Joe Morgan, playing baseball
I wish I had TiVo so I could go back and listen to this again, but in the seventh inning of the Sox-Yankees game tonight, Joe Morgan suddenly piped up with a question that has obviously been bothering him for quite some time.

If the rumors are correct, and Daisuke Matsuzaka throws six different types of pitches, how does Jason Varitek signal for all of them?

Really, Joe? Are you really asking this question? Are you joking? Please, tell me you're joking. Lie to me if necessary.

This may be incorrect, because I never played the game and therefore do not understand it the way Joe does, but isn't it possible that Varitek could use a combination of signs to call for a particular pitch? No? Okay.

My favorite part of the exchange came later, however, when Varitek threw down one finger and indicated that he wanted the ball on the outer part of the plate, prompting Joe to declare that this one would obviously be a fastball away. After Matsuzaka threw what appeared to be a cutter away (Jon Miller called it a cutter, anyway), Morgan decided that he "must have done that on his own." Because the sign that Varitek and Matsuzaka use for a cut fastball couldn't possibly be one finger. No way. It's much more likely that Matsuzaka decided to cross up his catcher, just for the hell of it.

Alright, I'm done playing Fire Joe Morgan now. Enjoy the game.

(Also noted: Matsuzaka hit Alex Rodriguez in the first inning because he doesn't know how to pitch inside yet. Do they not pitch inside in Japan?)

Posted by One More Dying Quail at 10:39 PM

4 Comments:

At one point in that game, Morgan congratulated his daughter on making it to the finals of a national gymnastics competition, then said the following.

Morgan: "She gets her looks from me and her athletic ability from her mother."
(awkward pause)
Miller: "Uh, that's not how I heard it."

Trader Rick said...
Apr 23, 2007, 11:10:00 AM  

As much as I love and adore my beloved Red Sox, I simply can not listen to one more game announced by those two. Joe Morgan is painful beyond words. The other guy, and luckilly they're not doing our games so often that I can remember his name, is absolutely a mess. No more. I refuse. Didn't I hear something last season about these guys geting released?? They're embarrassing.

Anonymous said...
Apr 23, 2007, 11:20:00 AM  

Joe Morgan ? Well, I was going to say he does the best that he can! Take care...go SOX....if you ever want to exchange links, let me know. Click on my name for my blog, and my email.....good stuff here!!!!

Peter N said...
Apr 23, 2007, 12:06:00 PM  

Morgan is soooo brutal. Why did he make a point, during the 24 Jun Braves-Tigers game, of defending Gary Sheffield's idiotic remark about latin players being easier to manage? Shef is the guy who said Sammy Sosa was getting picked on for the corked bat incident not because it was blatant cheating but because he was black. Why would JM come to that jerk's defense?? Why won't ESPN get someone else on the mic?

Anonymous said...
Jun 24, 2007, 10:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment