Swin Cash CAN Talk.....When She Knows Her Lines

Thursday, April 12, 2007



There was a great post on Swin Cash over at Sports Show on Mute the other day, and I wanted to add a couple of things.

I understand the train of thought when you're hiring an ex-athlete. You want someone who's been there and can tell you what things are like from a different perspective. Makes sense. But there is such a thing as overkill. You don't need 4 ex-athlete analysts on a broadcast to make that point. One will suffice.

What makes it even worse is when you add one that can't talk or form complete sentences. Swin isn't alone in this category, but she's a prime example. I would guess that probably over 70% of all ex-athletes are horrible analysts. These announcing hiring trends just take on a life of their own don't they?

Sure there are some great ex-athlete broadcasters....but very few (Mark Jackson, Tim Legler, Stacy Dales, Kara Lawson, Troy Aikman off the top of my head). It's not their fault because they haven't been professionally trained, but let's make sure they can talk before you throw them to the masses.

Here's a clip of Swin Cash's best work.....but before I play it you need to know a few things.....

1. Yes, I watched Bring It On 3 the other night.
2. Yes, I recorded it.
3. Yes, I know the movie is horrible
4. Yes, that's Hayden Pantierre from Heros
5. Yes, she's only 17.
6. Yes, I left the cheerleader competition on for obvious reasons. They are great athletes.

Enjoy!

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 12:34 PM

4 Comments:

Wait, there's a "Bring It On 3"?!?

I hope my girlfriend doesn't find out.

Scrappled said...
Apr 12, 2007, 3:01:00 PM  

I don't even wanna know how you knew she was in Bring It On 3.

I don't think I could agree any more that hiring ex-athletes who can't put together cohesive sentences is a bad idea. And is a big part of what's wrong with ESPN as far as analysis.

Next weeks reason for Mute is also an ex-athlete. As are some other I'm considering. This is definitely not a coincidence.

BD said...
Apr 12, 2007, 7:02:00 PM  

There are radio hosts who call themselves pros that can't complete sentences much less gather their thoughts into cohesive units.

Anonymous said...
Apr 13, 2007, 8:22:00 AM  

I'd add Bill Clement to your list of ex-players who are great broadcasters.

Brian said...
Apr 13, 2007, 2:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment