Um, What?

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Nothing against Courtney B. Vance or Marlon Wayons, but through what rigorous process were they selected to read a tribute to Jackie Robinson off of friggin' clipboards? What did they do, pull them out of the stands five minutes before this thing got started, shove the clipboards in their hands and say, "Read this"?

Somebody, please explain this to me?

Update, 8:20 - For the past few days, I've struggled with the "Jack" vs. "Jackie" thing. You might've noticed that much of the time, I refer to Robinson as "Jack" - that's because I vaguely remember reading something about how much he hated being called "Jackie".

Well, Rachel Robinson has settled it - she just called him "Jack" twice in a row, so "Jack" it is.

Update, 8:36 - Fire Joe Morgan has the official transcript of the meeting where the decision to hire Wayans was made.

Posted by One More Dying Quail at 8:09 PM

8 Comments:

Just think, if Jackie Robinson had never played Major League Baseball, Little Man may have never been made.

Grimey said...
Apr 15, 2007, 9:23:00 PM  

After hearing them talk about the upcoming remake of The Jackie Robinson Story, I am terrified that Wayans will be playing Jack Robinson.

Apr 15, 2007, 9:47:00 PM  

Is it just me, or has Joe Morgan made a point to mention (in every interview) how often he talks to people like Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson? He even talked about having "lunch every Wednesday" with Happy Chandler.

We get it, Joe - you have friends.

Apr 15, 2007, 11:01:00 PM  

There was supposed to be a baseball game involved there, but I guess they decided not to call it.

I switched off for playoff hockey. Who else did they trot out for interviews after Hank Aaron?

Signal to Noise said...
Apr 16, 2007, 12:07:00 AM  

I remember seeing Frank Robinson (who made me happy by mentioning Larry Doby) and I think that was it - but was he before or after Aaron? But I wasn't paying the closest attention.

My biggest regret is not watching carefully and counting how many names Morgan dropped. If he had mentioned Bill Russell or how "I was teasing Frank" Robinson one more time, the Ombudswoman might've had a message in her inbox.

Apr 16, 2007, 12:24:00 AM  

I've been struggling the last few hours about if it's Kosher to hack on the ceremony last night. On the one hand, Jack Robinson (also struggling with the name thing...I wonder if "Jack" was a special name only Mrs. Robinson called him) deserves all the praise he got last night. On the other hand, it was so full of Bud Selig's Used Car Sell-opalooza that it just felt odd. Also, condsidering the story they told us last night of how Robinson never mentioned in his autobiography how his bunt set up the winning run in his first game, I feel like he would have felt weird with the whole ceremony.
More importantly, did anyone else catch how Joe Morgan called a rundown a "hotbox?"

La Rev said...
Apr 16, 2007, 9:09:00 AM  

Uh, did anyone catch the new rendition of 'O' Happy Day?'

I think Jack and Rachel loved that song because of its original meaning, not because "Jackie Walked."

If you ask me Rachel looked like she hated it. And Selig looked like a rat.

Anonymous said...
Apr 16, 2007, 10:03:00 AM  

Nothing wrong with Courtney B. Vance--he's an accomplished stage actor. Marlon Wayans, or any Wayans for that matter, just seems disrespectful.

Anonymous said...
Apr 16, 2007, 2:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment