I Wonder If Keith Hernandez Will Send Flowers

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Remember last season when New York Mets broadcaster Keith Hernandez caught sight of a young lady in the San Diego Padres dugout and expressed his concern regarding her presence in the holiest of all holy places? Though blatantly sexist, the remarks ("I won't say that women belong in the kitchen, but they don't belong in the dugout" is my personal favorite) were noteworthy in that they presented the best known instance of a real life "I'm Keith Hernandez" moment.

The 33-year-old interloper woman , sports therapist Kelly Calabrese, won't have to worry about revisiting the controversy or offending Hernandez's delicate sensibilities when the Mets visit San Diego in mid-July, because she won't be with the team. Why not? She'll be home doing what women are supposed to do in The World According To Keith: cooking, cleaning and having babies.

Well, at least the last one is true. Calabrese and her husband are expecting their first child, a boy, in early August, which means she will finish up her season with the team in mid-June (apparently, flying is not recommended during the last six weeks of pregnancy). If the couple had any sense of humor, they would've told the Associated Press that they planned to name the baby Keith, but unfortunately they don't.

So to recap - my kid is due in mid-July, Calabrese's is due in early August, Bridget Moynahan's should be due sometime in August...I am totally gonna figure out a way to get a play group together. I hope it's just like this.

Posted by One More Dying Quail at 3:18 AM

1 Comments:

I have to seriously ask this: Just how much money do some of these lower-level front office staff people get paid in MLB? I fail to see how someone like Kelly Calabrese can have an offseason home in Cleveland while working in San Diego. I know that San Diego has notoriously high home prices, but come on.

Anonymous said...
Apr 30, 2007, 10:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment