Old People Are Awesome

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Call it weird, but it is becoming a weekend tradition here at Awful Announcing to make note of the accomplishments of at least one really old person.

This week, Venus Ramey joins golfer Elsie McLean in my Old People Hall of Fame. An 82-year-old woman who 63 years ago became the first redhead to win the Miss American pageant, Ramey not only pulled a .38 on a group of guys who were stealing scrap metal from her farm in Kentucky this week, she shot out the tires on their SUV when they tried to leave.

"I didn't even think twice. I just went and did it...If they'd even dared come close to me, they'd be 6 feet under by now."

And I thought my grandmother was spunky. This lady makes Chuck Norris look like a Girl Scout.

My favorite part of the whole story, though, is the fact that two passing neighbors saw what they assumed to be some shenanigans taking place, stopped to offer their assistance, and ended up being held at gunpoint by the police for ten minutes before things got sorted out. Good times, good times.

Looking at that picture, I can't help but wonder where the dog was during all this. It appears to be a golden retriever, which are generally very mild mannered animals but can take it up a notch when defending their owners. With a .38 and a dog, I'm surprised the police were even needed.

Moral of the story: do not try to steal stuff that belongs to old people, even if it looks like junk.

Posted by One More Dying Quail at 1:21 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment