Dan Patrick Is Officially A Free Agent

Monday, July 09, 2007


Many of you probably already know this, but in case you didn't....Dan Patrick is leaving ESPN. Many sources are reporting that the last day for Dan will be August 17th...

“I’ve spent a third of my life at ESPN," Patrick said in a statement. "All my children were born while I was employed here. I feel privileged to have had this opportunity and I have extremely mixed emotions about leaving. With that said, I told ESPN that I believe it’s time for me to try something different, something that will also be challenging and rewarding. While I’m not sure what that will be, I am grateful to ESPN for its willingness to allow me to pursue new endeavors.”
I think the key words there are challenging and rewarding. So it's Shrutebag and the Mikes left on ESPN Radio.....that should be fun.

(Quote from the Detroit Free Press)

UPDATE: Co-ed Mag has a source that says Dan was fired. I've never been to Co-ed, but people have sources everywhere.

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 3:34 PM

11 Comments:

Shrutebag extending his show, more time to make fun of him.

TJX said...
Jul 9, 2007, 3:47:00 PM  

ESPN Spreads Lies!! Patrick was fired!
we broke the story 3 days ago.... http://digg.com/baseball/ESPN_Fires_Dan_Patrick

Anonymous said...
Jul 9, 2007, 4:31:00 PM  

As long as they don't bring Kuselias back to the radio full-time..

Anonymous said...
Jul 9, 2007, 4:31:00 PM  

No way Patrick was fired. I'm sure he has a buyout clause. Plus, his best friend is Keith Olbermann. Don't you think Patrick would have walked out the door and never come back on the air?

J-Red said...
Jul 9, 2007, 4:51:00 PM  

he wasn't fired...If he had have been fired do you think he would continue for over a month? ESPN wouldn't fire Dan Patrick...If they are going to take Jay Crawford and Woody Paige's word in a sexual harassment case then they aren't going to fire Dan Patrick...

Dustyn Winder said...
Jul 9, 2007, 5:41:00 PM  

the yankees have just signed patrick to a 5 year, 40 million dollar contract to play first base
he is expected to join the team soon

Sam said...
Jul 9, 2007, 5:46:00 PM  

Bring back Korheiser.

GMoney said...
Jul 9, 2007, 5:47:00 PM  

The only thing I'll remember Danny-boy is for "El Fuego".

Can't think of a single other thing he's done that merits any caring of his carrer (other than, of course, the possiblity that he too realized that ESPN has sucked shit for some time now).

Anonymous said...
Jul 9, 2007, 10:25:00 PM  

I can only hope ESPN does something interesting with the slot, like some sort of rotating SportsCenter head thing. I'd love to hear Scott Van Pelt, Josh Elliot, and Linda Cohn each get one day a week.

Actually, I'd love to see Andrew Siciliano from Fox get the slot, but that ain't gonna happen.

Ultimately, I think what may have happened is that Dan wants to work radio with Keith full time, but Olbermann's schedule wouldn't allow him to work 1-4 and ESPN wouldn't give them Schrutebag's slot. A Dan-Keith show from 9-12 would be a great lead-in for Rome.

Jul 9, 2007, 11:21:00 PM  

I think he's done with radio. Everyone wants a Patrick-Olbermann reunion, but the whole point of leaving ESPN is to do something new. How would re-living 1989 accomplish that? I think he has his eye on Katie Couric's job.

J-Red said...
Jul 10, 2007, 10:20:00 AM  

seriously, wtf? is he going to be back for his final week, or was he pulled for good after announcing he quit. he hasn't been on in weeks & the subs have said nothing.

Anonymous said...
Aug 11, 2007, 3:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment