Sean Salisbury Vents On ESPN, The Cell Phone Incident And Being A "Ladies Man"

Thursday, August 14, 2008


It's no secret that I extremely despised Sean Salisbury as an analyst on ESPN. You never want to see someone lose their job, but with the way he handled himself at times, I certainly wasn't sad when it happened to him. After some trying times, Sean is trying to reinvent himself these days and in doing so actually talked to Deadspin at length about everything that has happened over the last two years. I'm sure you already read it, but it need a spot on this site....

On ESPN Not Renewing His Contract: "They gave me a platform . For a guy that was an average quarterback, to be a broadcaster for 12 years…whenever you do something for 12 years whether it’s marriage, or job, or family you’re drawn to it. So those people treated me great and I have no qualms about leaving it, at the time I needed to do some other things. But these last five months for me have probably been as peaceful as I have had in a long time. And this is the longest I’ve been without work for a while so it was time to go back and get a job. And fortunately with OPENSports, I’ve got the beginning of something special and this is something I’ve been looking forward to for a long time."

On The Alleged Cell Phone Pics: "It NEVER happened. And I have written proof at my house on an ESPN document that states that it didn’t happen. And, A.j. …let’s think about this now: What in the world would anybody stupid enough…first of all, I wouldn’t know the difference between an intern and a p.a. I know they’re more talented than I am.....

Hey, I’m not perfect. As far as that one situation? Do I think that the suspension should have happened? Absolutely not. Was I suspended for “other stuff” than what other people speculate about? In my mind, yes. I can guarantee you, I know for a fact, had other situations surrounding that not had happened – I don’t know if I’d still be at ESPN because that was two years ago and I should have been long gone and somebody put legs on it. That had nothing to do with according to them and me with me leaving ESPN."

On The Infamous Super Bowl Party: "I don’t have that much game. Irvin, superstar, great guy. Stu Scott, talented guy, he’s won many Emmys and then….It’s like Sesame Street. "One of These Things is Not Like the Other"? Then there’s Sean. I’d like to say it was my ruggedly handsome good looks and my charming personality. I just think we were at a small place and there were people around, it was after Sports Center, and we go over there and are trying to help a guy out. Put it this way: I had a good time and had a lot of laughs. Nobody hates eye candy and I just wish I was a little more of it."
Again, I'm sure most of you have already taken the time to peruse the interview, which is why I tried to keep those quotes as short as possible, but if you haven't....it's a must read. The whole thing comes off like a conversation with someone who is just beyond manic at this point. He was always a high energy guy, but I can't even imagine what the phone call was like.

I honestly wish him the best of luck with Open Sports (whatever that is), but you really do get back what you put into this world. There are many documented cases of him being combative and unbearable to work with, but I think this clip sums up his time at ESPN the best.



Hopefully he's learned to channel that energy and aggression in a different way and can put it to good use at his new job.

Sean Salisbury Has A Lot On His Mind (Deadspin)
Back in your grill! (Open Sports)
Breaking News: Sean Salisbury Out At ESPN (Awful Announcing)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 2:59 PM

20 Comments:

Who's the woman? Is she identifiable or a nobody?

Anonymous said...
Aug 14, 2008, 3:22:00 PM  

It's Lisa Dergan Anon. She's married to Scott Podsednik now and a former playmate.

Aug 14, 2008, 3:25:00 PM  

Jay Harris really got a kick out of the cryptkeeper comment.

Anonymous said...
Aug 14, 2008, 3:30:00 PM  

Alright all thats left is for Hodgie and Schlearth to leave and ESPN will be on the right track

Anonymous said...
Aug 14, 2008, 3:46:00 PM  

Salisbury was annoying while he was at ESPN, but he had his time and place. Usually, the bouts with John Clayton were watchable and entertaining as long as Salisbury didn't totally fly off the handle. I think bellicose is a good word for him.

Eric said...
Aug 14, 2008, 3:54:00 PM  

That guy totally shows chicks pictures of his junk...an icon of perversion.

GMoney said...
Aug 14, 2008, 4:04:00 PM  

i don't know of any espn producer who asked him to join his/her show who was turned down (assuming they were reasonable in a request, i.e., consideration for his daily schedule/assignments -- no different from any other analyst on staff).

Anonymous said...
Aug 14, 2008, 5:02:00 PM  

Unrelated note: Method Man? On an ESPN Fantasy Football Draft Special? Did Coolio change his phone number?

Aug 14, 2008, 6:38:00 PM  

I hope Salisbury dies in a very painful way. He is garbage. Reading his responses, I wonder how he ever had a job in TV. "In my mind, yes. I can guarantee you, I know for a fact, had other situations surrounding that not had happened..." huh??

Anonymous said...
Aug 14, 2008, 6:53:00 PM  

I love how AA hates Salisbury. AA, talentless hack.

Aug 14, 2008, 7:20:00 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aug 14, 2008, 7:21:00 PM  

Thank God Salisbury's back. Who else on TV or the interwebs constantly says "I confess, you did it?"

Anonymous said...
Aug 14, 2008, 7:33:00 PM  

SS was mediocre at best as a player, local radio guy in San Diego, and ESPN analyst.

That interview with Deadspin bordered on surreal at times. I can't wait for Part II tomorrow...particularly what will surely be a rambling diatribe on the Clayton incident.

Anonymous said...
Aug 14, 2008, 10:08:00 PM  

Anon @5:02pm, You are correct. During my time at the worldwide leader, SS went out of his way more than any other analyst there, not to mention all the MNF meals he bought for the entire newsroom. Good guy.

Anonymous said...
Aug 14, 2008, 10:11:00 PM  

Is that the kind of high-minded debate technique the teach at U.S.C., Sean?

Anonymous said...
Aug 14, 2008, 11:14:00 PM  

I tihnk he inferred that someone else was the culprit in the junk showing, can't tell if it's Reynolds or not...maybe Berman...

E Buzz said...
Aug 15, 2008, 1:01:00 PM  

I met Sean Salisbury at a hotel bar in San Diego. He was the complete opposite of that clip in real life. Pretty quiet and unassuming. Also, he seemed incredibly whipped by the chick he was with.

Oh well, I wouldn't put those allegations past any celebrity...especially an egotistical former athlete analyst.

Unknown said...
Aug 15, 2008, 6:53:00 PM  

Man that clip made him look like a mega douche.

Anonymous said...
Aug 16, 2008, 3:19:00 AM  

In the interview transcript, he said someone who worked at Disney would have to be "nuts" to take a picture of his junk and show it around. What a great choice of words.

Was never a fan of SS. His short-lived radio show in Chicago was painful to listen to. He played it like he was a Chicago sports expert. During the White Sox run, he just wouldn't stop sharing his baseball wisedom. Awful... I predicted his rather short stay on the airwaves here.

Anonymous said...
Aug 17, 2008, 4:28:00 PM  

I worked there, and it DID happen...

Anonymous said...
Dec 10, 2008, 6:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment