The NFL Network Gives Sterling Sharpe A Shot At Play-By-Play

Tuesday, August 19, 2008


It's well documented how I feel about the duo of Deion Sanders and Marshall Faulk calling a game in any capacity. When Dick Vermeil blew out his vocal cords two years ago, I almost lost my mind with them in the booth along side Bryant Gumbel. Since then Marshall Faulk has gotten much better in my opinion, but Sanders is still a self-promoting waste of airtime.

Well that leads us to this little item from the Chicago Tribune. The NFL Network isn't just throwing those two together again, they're adding someone new to the mix this preseason. Someone who actually might be able to handle the pair and make some sense of their meandering. I give you the newest play-by-play man for the NFL Network....Sterling Sharpe!

Former Green Bay Packers receiver Sterling Sharpe will try his hand at play-by-play.

An NFL analyst for 12 years, Sharpe will call the game for the NFL Network when Buffalo visits Indianapolis for a preseason game Sunday. It will be the first NFL game at the Colts' new Lucas Oil Stadium.

Sharpe will be joined by analysts Marshall Faulk and Deion Sanders, with Adam Schefter reporting from the sidelines.
Don't think for a second that I'm not watching this game. Sterling is just about everything that Deion Sanders isn't as a broadcaster, so it will be interesting to see how the two work together. I still think Faulk can be good and if the Network would stop pairing him with Primetime at every opportunity, I think he'd flourish.

Good luck Sterling, and I give you permission to shut Deion's mic off at any point during the broadcast. Trust me....he'll never know.

Sterling Sharpe to do Bills-Colts play-by-play (Chicago Tribune)

11 Comments:

Sterling knows his stuff, I just hope that it translates well to the booth.

Was there any reason why he and ESPN parted ways? Was he considered too competent?

GMoney said...
Aug 19, 2008, 10:44:00 AM  

For the life of me I cannot understand why Sharpe can't keep a gig. He's well spoken, articulate, and very insightful. In other words, he's the exact opposite of his brother.

NBC dropping Sterling for Tiki Barber was a clear sign that the network didn't want a serious football studio show.

Anonymous said...
Aug 19, 2008, 11:05:00 AM  

Sharpe was in the booth for the Pats-Bucs game a couple of days ago. And I was far from impressed

Anonymous said...
Aug 19, 2008, 11:36:00 AM  

He was just an analyst not a play by play of course

Anonymous said...
Aug 19, 2008, 11:37:00 AM  

Really Anon? That stinks because I'm with James on Sharpe. I always thought he was pretty damn good.

Aug 19, 2008, 11:39:00 AM  

I know why NBC pulled him off, it's because he has scary eyebrows. Otherwise, he is an excellent analyst and always has good takes. That NFL Network show he did with Brian Baldinger (I think they call it "NFL Playbook") was always well done. Shut up, Deion, we're all dumber for listening to your self-promotion ERRR analysis. Marshall is really good, though, he and Sterling should comprise quite the duo.

Anonymous said...
Aug 19, 2008, 1:32:00 PM  

he's awful

Anonymous said...
Aug 19, 2008, 3:14:00 PM  

Faulk and Sharpe both in the booth for a Patriots game... should never happen.

Anonymous said...
Aug 19, 2008, 3:47:00 PM  

Sterling Sharpe was one of the least media friendly players in NFL history and it's a shame karma hasn't kicked his butt. It's disgusting to see better and more experienced pxp guys get overlooked while this guy gets their shot.

Anonymous said...
Aug 19, 2008, 5:16:00 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marima said...
Aug 20, 2008, 11:48:00 AM  

I never knew that there could be a color commentator worse than Joe Theismann, but alas, there is. His name is Sterling Sharpe. I don't know which guy annoyed me the most during the Pats-Bucs game. Sterling with his loud mouth or Marshall Faulk agreeing with everything that Sterling said.

I find it hard to believe that the NFL Network will actually let these 2 idiots work a real game.

Anonymous said...
Aug 20, 2008, 4:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment