Friday, April 06, 2007
I was torn on this story at first. My first thought was that I don't really watch Soccer unless it's a big U.S. game or an EPL one. So to hear that ESPN/ABC is "jazzing" up their MLS broadcasts might not be a bad thing. Well, that was until I read the changes in this USA Today article.
Let's outline some of the changes shall we.....
1. On screen graphics for MLS Fantasy Players (wait...there's an MLS Fantasy League?)
2. This season's coverage will "try to make connections to other sports". (Alexi Lalas is the Theo Epstein of the MLS)
3. The only Sky-Cam TV shots of soccer in the world. (I can't wait until someone blasts on of those of the zip-line and people go running.)
4. The possibility of mic'd players and refs.
5. They are using the slogan, "You're a fan...you just don't know it yet." (I wish I was making that up. What an AWFUL slogan.)
.....and my personal favorite
6. ESPN will add a superimposed graphic showing the offside line.
Okay let's analyze these changes. If you're not already watching soccer (especially the MLS) are you really going to hang around because of mic'd up refs? And the offside line graphic??? Do you know how annoying that's going to get? It's perfectly fine in football because the graphic is stationary, but with that thing moving up and down the whole game.....that could make someone pretty nauseous (not that Soccer alone doesn't take care of that....HEY YO!).
The other interesting tidbit is that Eric Wynalda has only been suspended one game. Because hugging someone is much worse than tell someone to "S your D". Julie Foudy will replace him for that strict one game suspension.
Jim Rome Can Suck My D--- (Sports By Brooks)
Sports Television (USA Today)
Don't Like Soccer? Yes you do. (Ad Freak)