Packer, Packer, Packer

Thursday, April 05, 2007


Ugh...okay. Here's the thing....Yes, I understand what the term "fagging out" means. I get it....you tire out....like a cigarette burning out....fag is a British slang for cigarette. I get all of that. But why be that insensitive and use the phrase? It's just so idiotic and ignorant to not pay attention to what you're saying.

A Brazil nut was once known as a "N****r Toe". Do we still call it that? Of course not....it's an inflammatory term, and has no business in our dialect.

So did I overreact when I first saw the video....probably. He wasn't "trying" to directly harm the gay population. So what is his response after CBS said it was a "poor choice of words"???

"I can assure you I will use that phrase again and I won't think twice about it," he said. "My meaning is genuine."
No Billy your meaning was/is not genuine. If your meaning was genuine you would have either A) Not used a derogatory word no matter what the connotation was. B) Apologized if there was confusion/harm, and explained the true meaning of the term.

Look I'm not perfect either. I have a lesbian friend, and use the term "gay" a lot around her. I've made a concerted effort to stop. But I guess the difference between Billy and myself is that I recognize when it bothers her. I then make sure to apologize, and I feel like an ass. He feels no remorse about anything he does......ever. I just have no respect people like that.

And on that note.....I'm done with Billy Packer. The guy has just worn out his welcome on this site and the broadcast booth for me. I hope CBS noticed all the anti-Packer noise during the tournament and decides to make a change (but they won't).

Packer Not Insensitive (Philly Inquirer)
Billy Packer On Fag Comment (Fanhouse)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 2:45 PM

6 Comments:

I know I shouldn't ask this but is your lesbian friend a Cubs fan that has pictures in a video on YouTube?

Brett said...
Apr 5, 2007, 3:32:00 PM  

First of all I didn't know Packer was British. Second of all I didn't know he used to be a smoker. Third of all, he didn't use it in that connotation. He used it as a replacement for "flaking out", meaning Rose would promise to come and then not show up. Not that Rose would show up and then take a nap.

J-Red said...
Apr 5, 2007, 4:32:00 PM  

What adds fuel to the fire is Rose didn't even seem to baulk when Packer used the word. He went along with it and was very non-chalant on the reaction.

therod said...
Apr 5, 2007, 10:09:00 PM  

nicely put, AA. not much else too add. packer can go turn his nose up at some other group, but i don't want to see his face on a sportscast anytime soon.

The Big Picture said...
Apr 5, 2007, 10:21:00 PM  

That link to the Fanhouse would be much better with some punctuation:

"Billy Packer on Fag. Comment?"

Anonymous said...
Apr 6, 2007, 12:24:00 AM  

Being insensitive is one thing, but being a dick and refusing to apologize or admit wrongdoing is even worse.

WCT said...
Apr 6, 2007, 11:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment