ESPN Still The Top Sports Network To Work For

Friday, August 01, 2008


I'm always fascinated when "Best Places to Work" lists come out for some reason. When I was in College I wanted to work at the Discovery Channel HQ in Silver Spring, MD because it had a T-Rex skeleton in the lobby. Plus they put a shark on the building for Shark Week back in 2006. Anywho, Cable Fax has come out with its Top 10 places to work in all of cable television and our good friends at ESPN made the list....

ESPN employs a "pay for performance" philosophy and maintains a bonus incentive program in which all employees are eligible for an annual bonus award. Benefits packages are managed by the Walt Disney Co., and are supplemented by an on-site Wellness Center at the company's Bristol, Conn., headquarters. The Center, which is open seven days a week, offeres state-of-the-art fitness equipment and services such as a full-time occupational nurse, personal training, massage therapy, nutrition consulation, health-education seminars and health screenings. Coming in 2010: a childcare center that will be adjacent to Bristol Headquarters.
I'd poke fun of the "pay for performance" line, but it's Friday and I'm in a good mood. It still amazes me the pseudo-monopoly that ESPN holds over other Sports networks, but if I was a College kid I'd definitely want to work in Bristol. In fact, if I took everything bad I said back can I get hooked up with a job? I'm a pretty good babysitter. No??? Well how about a fitness center pass? Damn. Okay fine, I'll just settle for an autographed Chris Berman glossy photo and show myself out. Keep my resume on file if anything opens up please!

Also in the issue, a TBS piece and an interview with Mark Cuban. It's worth a digital flip through.

The Hottest Operators (Cable Fax Mag)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 2:58 PM

6 Comments:

Good luck getting a gig at ESPN! You're going to use AA Hates ESPN as a reference, right?

Anonymous said...
Aug 1, 2008, 3:43:00 PM  

Pay for performance, huh? Well, it's good to know that at least SAS, Bayless, and Paige aren't getting paid anything.

Anonymous said...
Aug 1, 2008, 3:54:00 PM  

Do you think they're hiring now? I need a job.

Anonymous said...
Aug 1, 2008, 4:18:00 PM  

I used to work at ESPN, and I actually really enjoyed my job. It was very rare that I wasn't happy about coming to work on a daily basis. The two biggest downsides are the pay (crappy, because they know if you don't take the job someone else will), and the location. Bristol sucks. There are few, if any, decent bars, and no women, mostly because ESPN itself is the biggest employer in the town and is, as you might imagine, a sausagefest.

Anonymous said...
Aug 1, 2008, 5:36:00 PM  

will the daycare be next to the satellite farm?

/deadspin'd

-dan

Anonymous said...
Aug 1, 2008, 5:59:00 PM  

No way are they good to work for. Lousy location, no loyalty, treat you like garbage.

Anonymous said...
Aug 2, 2008, 7:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment