Griffey Apologizes For The Throat Slash

Sunday, August 03, 2008


It was definitely an odd move at the time, and seemed out of Griffey's character, but in the wake of his trade he has issued a statement on the matter. Sports Illustrated has the quote....

"I really do understand that the overwhelming majority of fans wanted so badly for me to succeed," Griffey said. "Additionally, I would like to sincerely apologize to those fans offended by my wrongful actions last Saturday night. It was an overreaction on my part to what I felt was a series of public, inaccurate and unfair remarks about me."

"While my nine seasons there were filled with personal highlights -- like hitting my 400th, 500th and 600th home runs in a Reds uniform -- and the negatives of having to fight through too many injuries, my biggest regret is that we were not able to win a world championship while I was there," Griffey said.
That's more like the Griffy we know. I personally think it was time that someone said something to Brantley, but this was obviously not the way. The Reds should be proud to have had the HOFer on their team for so long, and while it's a shame that he went out that way, it shouldn't change how fans ultimately feel about him. Hopefully we get to see him in at least one more playoff run before the end of his career now.

Griffey thanks Reds fans for support, issues apology for gesture (SI)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 2:25 PM

7 Comments:

a lot of Reds fans didnt really care for Griffey Jr. I think he came in with too many expectations and when the injuries knocked him back and he wasnt the player he once was the fans took it out on him.

all you have to do is go to cincinnatisports.com and go to the reds threads and read some of the comments about griffey.

Steve M said...
Aug 3, 2008, 4:07:00 PM  

I wonder where all of the people who commented in the initial 'throat-slash' thread are? "Big deal." "This is so petty." "I didn't see no gesture. It didn't happen." Blah, blah, blah. Why would anyone apologize for something that "didn't happen?"

Anonymous said...
Aug 3, 2008, 4:33:00 PM  

Yeah Anon...I have no idea what those people were talking about. You could clearly see him do it right as he went into the dugout. People see what they want to see most of the time.

Aug 3, 2008, 4:53:00 PM  

Griffey leaves Saturday's game with "heat-related cramping" and plays only half of Sunday's game as DH.
Sounds like he's drastically out of shape. No surprise. He was dogging it for years in Cincy.
Poor CWS going to have their hopes dashed by someone who doesn't care.

Anonymous said...
Aug 3, 2008, 8:25:00 PM  

Those fireplaces in Kansas City can really dehydrate you.

/not funny
//does Residence Inn by Marriott still have rooms with fireplaces?

Anonymous said...
Aug 3, 2008, 10:03:00 PM  

Yeah, certainly doesn't sound like Griffey. Wait, we talkin' about the same Griffey who once told me to F-off?

Anonymous said...
Aug 4, 2008, 9:01:00 AM  

It'll be interesting to see what cap Griffey wears into the Hall.

Anonymous said...
Aug 4, 2008, 9:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment