A Look At Al Michaels' Cameo On Hawaii Five-O

Monday, September 22, 2008


I was reading through Tom Hoffarth's Farther Off the Wall blog today when I saw an item about how Al Michaels once played a lawyer on the old show "Hawaii Five-O". Apparently Al was working for the Padres' AAA team, the Hawaiian Islanders, when he was asked to make a cameo during the show.

"I got the gig because the Hawaii Five-0 folks were filling some cameo roles with people who were on television in Hawaii at that time, and I think I got paid something like a hundred bucks," Michaels told us in an email. "I told Colin [Shrutebag] that I recently got a residual check for 87 cents.

Yes, it was during the period I was broadcasting Islander games. And every couple of months someone will stop me and say, 'Hey, was that you on 'Hawaii Five-0'? I had about seven lines that got edited down to two when the show aired. Never got an Emmy nomination, though."
I was of course intrigued by all of this information, so I went out searching for the announcer's thespian debut and found this stellar piece acting from the NBC broadcaster....



Not bad, but I'll take his cameo in Baseketball any day of the week. Oh and here's an interesting fact as well, not only was "Run, Johnny, Run" Al's acting debut, but it was also featured an appearance by a young Christopher Walken. Good times and you learn something new everyday, right?

Al Michaels' shady lawyer past, Five-O style (Farther Of The Wall)

4 Comments:

"Do you believe in pre-trial discovery phase?? YES!"

Anonymous said...
Sep 22, 2008, 2:09:00 PM  

That was a totally farcical call Dano.

E Buzz said...
Sep 22, 2008, 2:47:00 PM  

He looked directly at the camera after he entered the scene and looked at each actor!

Anonymous said...
Sep 22, 2008, 2:52:00 PM  

I've seen this episode several times and never made the Al Michaels connection... Walken is terrific in it...

Anonymous said...
Sep 23, 2008, 10:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment