The Next Movie To Be Promoted By ESPN Is....

Tuesday, September 30, 2008


I always try to avoid the back-to-back ESPN posts, but I just couldn't pass on this item. ESPN is always looking for one movie or another to get into bed with, and was even helping to promote one as recently as last night. Monday Night Countdown used the theme from the new Bond movie (although not as much as I originally thought they would), but I've also posted on cross-promotions with "The Mummy 3", "The Gameplan" and "Live Free Or Die Hard". Well this week's movie collaboration comes with the DVD release of "Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and it's actually a much better promotion than any of the annoying ones they tried above.

Starting today, if you go to ESPN.com and search for the keyword "Indiana Jones", you'll be linked over to a set of videos. Seven university bands (Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Florida, LSU, USC and Texas) have all performed, John Williams' Indiana Jones Theme and the school with the most votes with receive a $25K donation from Lucasfilm Ltd. for their school's band program.

I say that it's a good promotion for a few reasons but the obvious ones are the donation, it's not plastered all over ESPN.com or on Sports Center, and most importantly.....the song and performances are pretty badass. My vote is going to LSU not only because they have both the mascot and cheerleaders dressed as Indy (amazing look btw), but anytime you can give me a Les Miles cameo where he tells me to, "Have a great day"....I'm in your camp....



Battle Of The Bands And The Quest For The Crystal (ESPN)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 1:27 PM

5 Comments:

I vote for School of Rock!

TomahawkFlop said...
Sep 30, 2008, 3:48:00 PM  

Wow...I love the cheerleaders' outfits! If I were George Lucas, not only would I choose LSU, but I change the spelling of the movie to "Indiana Jeaux-nes."

Anonymous said...
Sep 30, 2008, 5:12:00 PM  

AA

I agree, and voted LSU, and will continue to vote LSU. Not only did they sound good and look good, but you can actually see an effort there.

Good for Les Miles too, for helping the band there.

Rob in WI said...
Sep 30, 2008, 8:41:00 PM  

The Georgia one is pretty cool if only for the xylophone part, but LSU's is freakin' awesome.

Anonymous said...
Sep 30, 2008, 11:27:00 PM  

I was torn between Georgia and LSU. Liked the actual sound/performance of Georgia's better, but loved LSU's 'extras', the choreographed moves, the costumes, Les Miles.... I'll probably just alternate votes between the two. thanks for the link

B.Lane said...
Oct 1, 2008, 12:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment