The PGA Tour Is Desperately Trying To Get People Interested In The Fed Ex Cup

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

I like to think that I watch more Golf than an average male fan my age. I don't miss a major and I even watch parts of tournaments that Tiger Woods isn't involved in. With that said, I still have zero idea how the Fed Ex Playoffs work for the PGA and I'm willing to bet that most diehards don't either. I know it's a four event playoff, and that somehow 144 people qualify somehow, but other than that I'm at a loss.

It's more confusing than the BCS at this point, and the PGA Tour seems to know that, which is why they decided to come up with a "celebrity" ad campaign to get people interested. The big names include Dana Torres, Michael Jordan, John Elway, Joe Sakic, Daryl Strawberry and my two favorites.... Joe Buck and Emmitt Smith!




YBB has some more vids, but as they point out....the Championship has already been locked up by Vijay Singh, so they're all kind of for naught. I have to admit though that the FedEx Trophy is pretty badass looking, but until you get Natalie Gulbis on YouTube explaining the rules to me....I'm probably not going to pay attention.

Video: Vijay Singh Ruins PGA Ad Campaign (You Been Blinded)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 1:45 PM

7 Comments:

My favorite part of the FedEx Cup is the projected standings that they always have next to the players. It'll be the back nine on Thursday and the announcer will say something stupid like, if the tournament ended now, Kevin Streelman would be #2 in points. I love it.

Anonymous said...
Sep 3, 2008, 2:27:00 PM  

Re: Emmitt Smith's commercial

Ooh, he card read good.

Anonymous said...
Sep 3, 2008, 2:33:00 PM  

So Joe Buck has time to watch golf but not baseball?

Taylor said...
Sep 3, 2008, 2:38:00 PM  

On what level of celebrity is Darrly Strawberry when the PGA guys were talking about getting celebrities to pump up the playoffs - BBB? Was Cory Haim not available?

Anonymous said...
Sep 3, 2008, 2:43:00 PM  

Wouldn't Dara Torres be a better fit with the Champions Tour?

GMoney said...
Sep 3, 2008, 4:10:00 PM  

It is the PGA Tour, not the PGA. They are different organizations.

Anonymous said...
Sep 3, 2008, 4:25:00 PM  

Figures that Joe likes golf and not baseball or football.

I bet he also loves badminton, dressing up in the whole white sweater and stuff.

E Buzz said...
Sep 3, 2008, 4:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment