Tuesday, September 02, 2008
It was an interesting opening weekend to the College Football season. There were a few minor upsets, but other than that the results were pretty much decided early on. It wasn't the most exciting of weekends, but it was still Football. On the announcing side of things, A lot of the teams were the exact same as last year, but a few just didn't seem ready to go. Mark Jones regressed over the offseason, Musburger and Herbstreit seemed to debate nothing for an entire second half, and Andre Ware....well he was just Andre Ware.
Here are your top ten in quotes and the standings below. If you don't agree with me, or you think something is missing, speak up in the comments and I might change things around.
Update: The masses have spoken and I clearly skipped over the Pam Ward comment on the 3rd and 9 play from Saturday. I have replaced the Cubs one and the other Pam one has been in turn bumped up to #2. I still don't think it beats out the dreadful Mark Jones, but I obviously missed adding it to the list.
Also, as far as the Musburger one goes, I understand he was poking fun at Atlanta and that yes....it was very funny. But by Pammy rules, it doesn't have to just be dumb or inane things that are said. For example, the Sean McDonough line at #3. It's not a science people, but it's all we've got!
10. "I know Clemson is down 20, so their gameplan has changed."- Kirk Herbstreit
9. "On the streets of Atlanta today we saw ticket scalpers. That's when we knew we had a major event."- Brent Musburger (Via Mal)
8. "Then you are under the pile and that is where all the dirty stuff happens."- Andre Ware
"The French Uppercut"- Dave Pasch
(Via Half Court Heave)
7. "Both of these teams like to get up to the line of scrimmage and snap the ball"- Terry Gannon (Via Sam)
6. "He's academically uneligible"- Brad Nessler (Via jg)
5. "Offensively they're like a box of chocolates. I'm not sure if anybody knows what they're going to get."- David Norrie
4. "Well glad to know, in his first hit of the season for us, Rob Stone is already in midseason whiny form."- Sean McDonough
3. "I've got to be right with my balls."- Brock Huard
2. "Northwestern players...looking over to the sidelines...they want to go for it."- Pam Ward on a 3rd and 9 (Via Anon)
1. "Part of the ligament that they replaced in him was a ligament from a cadaver. Yeah, he's got a part of a dead man in him, but his game is alive!"- Mark Jones
So there you have it. Our first weekend is past us and Jonesy is in the lead. I'll be back with a few more items today, but tomorrow we'll be in full swing. Enjoy your Labor Day folks, you deserve it.....I know you've been laboring hard.